Saturday, December 31, 2011

New Skirt!

I saw a miniskirt tutorial on Pinterest that I wanted to try out.  I don't wear miniskirts (for multiple reasons) but I thought the pattern could make a really cute knee-length pencil skirt instead.  Since I finally had a lot of free time during Christmas break (my schedule is usually quite packed with school & work), I decided I would take on this project!

Here's the original skirt (with a link to the blog it was originally posted on):

Pretty cute, right?  I love the fabric she chose!  This was made with a jersey knit fabric--it's kind of similar to that used on a stretchy t-shirt.  The jersey knit fabric makes the skirt SO COMFORTABLE and you can just slip it on without using a zipper or other closure.  

I ended up having to take mine in on the waist twice because it wasn't as tight as I thought the first time... it almost fell off when I was wearing it haha.  So make sure this skirt is really tight!  It stretches quite easily.  Definitely use a zigzag stitch because it allows the fabric to stretch without breaking the seams.  Also, I've noticed that jersey knits have a tendency to fade easily, and if you have a faded skirt...well, it just doesn't look good.  So I'd recommend using a color/pattern of fabric that will only look better if faded (such as this mustard stripe that the original seamstress made or the heathered faded grapefruit color I used).  If you're new to sewing, I would NOT recommend making this.  It was quite tricky.  I ended up not following the diagram she made and just folded & pinned my fabric until it looked the way I wanted (it took about 3 tries).  But I followed her instructions on the lining and it turned out great!

Here's the finished product:

I ended up spending about $5 on the fabric and 4 hours making the skirt.  Not bad for a cute, one-of-a-kind, versatile skirt!


  1. cool! maybe I will try something like that!

  2. It looks great! I like that you made it longer, I was wondering what that would look like. Cool! And I really have to fix that diagram...